The Building Operator Certification Program In Detail
BOC Level 1
Building Operator Certification Level 1 (BOC-1) is a nationally recognized and respected certification aimed at enhancing the skills of building operators, stationary engineers, and others in the facilities management field in energy efficiency and advanced building technology management. In partnership with the CUNY School of Professional Studies, the BPL is a leading provider of BOC training in the US. BOC-1 is the cornerstone BOC training program offered by BPL, and for many professionals it is an entry point into further training, including BOC-2, Maintenance of Certification opportunities, and Building Re-tuning (BRT) training.
BOC is an industry standard, and the skills and knowledge provided by the curriculum are key to making significant improvements in a building’s energy and systems performance. Independent evaluation research of the impact of BOC training consistently shows that BOC-certified operators are saving money and energy in their facilities.
Learn more what BOC graduates are saying! Check out our BOC Testimonials and find out what graduates have been up to since earning their certification.
Course Overview: Consisting of 60 classroom hours + projects, the BOC curriculum provides building operators with the skills and tools to implement energy-saving O&M practices. The course is divided over four topical areas:
- Electrical Systems & Equipment: Power Basics; Motors; Lighting; Schematics; On-site Generation
- HVAC/Mechanical Systems & Equipment: Thermal Loads; Boilers & Heating; Refrigerants & A/C; Ventilation; Controls
- Energy Data Analysis: Data Sources; Benchmarking; Weather Normalization; KPI’s; Energy Rate Structures
- Energy Conservation Measures: Operational Measures; Calculating Savings; Energy Audits; New Technologies; Capital Improvements
In addition to improving energy efficiency, the BOC curriculum provides participants with enhanced facility management practices including:
- Calculate energy and demand savings
- Determine equipment replacement priorities
- Improve system and equipment performance
- Recommend specific system improvements
- Improve occupant comfort
To be eligible for the national certification, participants must have sufficient work and/or educational experience, and must achieve a minimum passing grade of 65% on the graded coursework and exams. For more information about eligibility requirements, please visit the BOC National website.
BOC Level 2
Building Operator Certification Level 2 (BOC-2) is a nationally recognized certification for building operators who have completed BOC-1 and want to advance their skills further. BOC-2 builds off of BOC-1 by applying a hands-on approach to optimizing building mechanical and electrical systems in your facility. Over 200 building professionals in the NYC region have completed this training.
The 75-hour BOC-2 training covers more targeted topics including:
- Documenting building systems
- Testing for proper system functioning
- Troubleshooting controls
- Developing planned maintenance and O&M process improvement
- Maximizing energy efficient performance.
Emphasis is placed on project work such as LEED-EB, retro-commissioning, and planned electrical maintenance.
Prerequisite: BOC Level-1 or equivalent education or work experience. Visit the BOC National website’s eligibility information page for eligibility requirements.