Energy Boot Camp
Over the past decade, we’ve placed dozens of CUNY students from diverse educational backgrounds in paid internships. Our interns are active in research projects focusing on maximizing the efficiency of building systems, improving operations & maintenance, and developing and analyzing models of energy usage that help the City of New York assess its carbon reduction efforts – to name just a few!
We are proud to say our interns “don’t fetch coffee,” and many have gone on to full-time staff positions at major real estate and engineering firms.
A CUNY BPL internship begins with specialized training. Since 2012, we’ve offered a free, 3-day Energy Boot Camp for CUNY students who are interested in BPL internships and careers in the fields of energy efficiency & energy management services; corporate sustainability; facilities management & operations; engineering; and public policy.
Topics covered include:
- Basics of building sciences, building systems, and building envelopes
- Energy efficiency in buildings
- How to benchmark energy in a building
- How to use data loggers and other field equipment
- Working with energy data
- Energy auditing
Guest lecturers have included:
- Lindsay Audin, President, Energywiz Inc.
- Joshua Boltruch, Chief Marketing Officer, Honest Buildings
- Saverio Grosso, Vice President, ENERACTIVE Solutions
- Stephen Samouhos, Consultant, CIUS BPL; Partner & Co-Founder, KGS Buildings
- Alex Vlachokostas, CCNY Electrical Engineering student
- Ellen Ryan and Michael Dipple, NYC Department of Citywide Administrative Services
- Donna Hope, NYC Mayor’s Office of Long-Term Planning and Sustainability
The 2017 Energy Boot Camp
Application for the 2017 Boot Camp is now open. If you’re interested in the 2017, 3- day Energy Boot Camp, which will be held from June 7-9th, please use our Contact Form and be sure to check that you’re interested in Boot Camp.